Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Shift

I cried out to God today-- Frustrated by my lack of commitment to Him, my lack of zeal, my lack of love, my lack of direction. Should I chose A or B? Should I being doing C and D?. . . I definitely need to give up E and F. . . And I said these words to my maker: "God-- I'm just trying to live Your life." And how did my maker reply? Did he shout to me-- You're absolutely right-- you need to give up E AND F, and start doing C AND D, and then, maybe then, I'll let you know if you should choose A or B." NOPE, that's not what my maker said to me. I said, "God, I'm just trying to live Your life." And God? He whispered back gently, reassuringly, "How about, you just let me live your life instead?"
Oh.
And so, with one sentence, the Shift came. A, B, C, D, E, AND F-- were all addressed in one simple reply. Maybe I should stop trying to live God's life and let Him live mine. Maybe I should just trust-- believe. Let God lead me hour by hour-- moment by moment. Maybe if I breathed in God with each breath-- all those things I am so concerned about, so guilt-ridden over, maybe those things will fall into place. And so, I'm drawn back-- back to the sermon today at church-- back to the words I've read so often and at times understood, "For whoever wants to save his life must lose it." We are not called to live Christ's life here on earth. We are called to let Christ live ours. . . And so "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3-16-19) Fill me God. Live my life. Amen.

No comments: